VP of DTC Ecommerce ($180K base + Bonus)
One of the coolest ecommerce jobs around!
HARRY'S COMMENTS: We are looking for a PROVEN VP of DTC Ecommerce for a $30 million, subscription-based, branded, eco-friendly CPG manufacturer of safe, non-toxic cleaning products delivered in refillable and sustainable packaging.
Think 7th Generation before it was snapped up by Unilever.
This $180K base (+ bonus) role is fully remote / WFH, and what we're looking for here is a hands-on, action-oriented doer with a bias for action. Very special consideration will be given to client-side candidates who are CURRENTLY leading a DTC CPG ecommerce P&L.
The primary focus of this role will be demand generation and integrated customer acquisition through TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Affiliate channels, Influencer marketing, Display ads, Retargeting, Groupon, Google Ads and Google Shopping.
This is not to say you won't be overseeing the usual ecom functions of planning, forecasting, email marketing, CRO, online merchandising, tech stack integration, Amazon / 3P markets, and so on -- but where the rubber will meet the road here is customer acquisition.
About the Company
Founded in 2015, the firm's mission is to formulate and market the world's safest consumer products that allow families to detoxify their homes and reduce their exposure to dangerous chemicals. Its product line offers an excellent example of nature-driven innovation.
Engineered using plant-powered chemistry, the firm's everyday cleaners will tackle the toughest messes on hundreds of surfaces, and its family-safe ingredients ensure that its customers can get the effortless clean they desire without harmful toxins.
The company offers products for laundry, bathroom, and kitchen, as well as essential oils and gift sets.
About the Market
Remember when people were oblivious? I grew up in the 1970s -- the Golden Age of obliviousness when consumers would smoke, drink, eat fast food, and pollute the planet with glee. As I tell my teenage kids, we simply didn't know any better.
But now, everyone understands that the world is a small place and that our time here is limited. Most reasonable folks now appreciate that our job is to leave the world in better shape than we found it.
And unless you have been living under a rock for the last 20 years, you can appreciate the need for environmental sustainability, ethical sourcing, community engagement, health and wellness, and humanitarian aid to those in need.
My client's business is about all of these things.
You might not realize it, but there are a TON of dangerous chemicals in your laundry room. I had no idea myself until my wife told me that commonly found cleaning compounds like Sodium Lauryl Sulfate can irritate the skin and eyes, while chlorine bleach is a common respiratory irritant. You can imagine what that does to the environment once it leaves your washing machine.
I'm sure the animals love it in their drinking water!
This is no small problem, either: The U.S. market for cleaning products is $43 billion, or $126 for every man, woman, and child in America. That's 34¢ per day on chemicals for every ... single ... one of us.
According to IBIS World research (ask me for this report),
"Household cleaning products are a staple for US families. This segment includes household alkaline dishwashing detergents, soaps, bleaches, hand sanitizers, and hair products. These products are necessary for a healthy household, so the need for these products doesn't change much during economic downturns. Nor did this segment decline during the COVID-19 pandemic."
"Successful product development and marketing is critically important for industry success. The push to move to environmentally friendly raw materials has spurred the creation of new and advanced surfactants, with new products battling for placement on the same retail shelves."
"New products can include either a completely new formula or improvements in existing products. Extending a well-known brand name to a new product can lure shoppers who already use the core brand. Slow growth in the US population means that the development of new products and categories remains important to revenue growth."
About the Role
As my client's new VP of Ecommerce, you'll be duking it out in an industry against 4500 other firms, including Procter & Gamble, Ecolab, Unilever, SC Johnson & Son, and Colgate-Palmolive. Tough crowd.
But just because a category is competitive doesn't mean you can't still build a killer DTC brand.
In this case, you will inherit a growing business with 1/ a strong, differentiated eco-friendly brand image, 2/ a growing core cohort of customers who share the brand's values and beliefs, 3/ solid customer engagement on social media, and 4/ a management team that "gets" direct response marketing is 100% committed to investing money to grow the business.
So it's not exactly like you'll be going to the Russian front with a pitchfork.
The firm employs more than 100 people, and it's among the fastest-growing non-toxic chemical manufacturers in the country. The firm's Founder / CEO -- who truly knows a ton about marketing -- simply realizes that to take the company to the next level (which includes launching a sustainable marketplace), he needs top-tier ecommerce leadership.
This summer, in addition to moving into a bigger building, the CEO made two key hires -- including a killer CTO.
In terms of its channel mix, the firm is nearly 100% DTC and it plans to rely on its current lineup of media buying and video editing / creative agencies until you appoint the changes. Management began dabbling on Amazon last January, and its Seller Central sales are now roughly $100K/month and growing.
There's a lot to love about this role -- but there's also a ton of work to do.
Your job is to GROW THE BUSINESS. Full stop. That means you / your team will own all aspects of the firm's DTC ecommerce business, with the P&L rolling up to YOU.
Management understands that the key to growing the business is to create demand among customers who are likely to BUY the product, then JOIN the brand.
Which means that your marketing will be designed to educate/convert consumers who might be unfamiliar with the benefits of non-toxic, environmentally friendly home products that are ...
- Healthier for Family: The client's products are non-toxic and are formulated without harsh chemicals, reducing the risk of skin irritations, allergies, and respiratory issues for both adults and children.
- Gentle on the Skin: The firm's product line is less likely to cause skin sensitivity or reactions, making them suitable for people with sensitive skin.
- Eco-Friendly: Using environmentally friendly detergents minimizes harm to aquatic life, ecosystems, and waterways due to their biodegradable and non-polluting nature.
- Reduce Chemical Exposure: By avoiding harmful chemicals, individuals limit their exposure to potentially hazardous substances, which can have long-term health benefits.
- Sustainably Packaged: The client's eco-friendly products come in recyclable or reusable packaging, contributing to a reduction in plastic waste.
- Energy and Water Efficient: The firm's environmentally friendly products require shorter wash cycles and lower water temperatures, leading to reduced energy and water consumption.
- Plant-Based: The product line uses plant-derived ingredients, promoting the use of renewable resources and supporting sustainable agriculture practices.
- Biodegradable: Non-toxic detergents break down naturally and quickly, minimizing their impact on the environment and reducing waste in landfills.
Such consumers often LOVE to buy and HATE to be sold, and your funnel must reflect this nature. By opting for non-toxic, environmentally friendly laundry detergent, individuals contribute to their own well-being, support a healthier planet, and play a part in driving positive change toward a more sustainable future.
What that means is ...
To "win" in this role, you should understand that as you start reaching out beyond your target market, the audience will get colder and colder. So, YES -- you will need to be a proven performance marketing gunslinger with a PROVEN PROCESS.
But beyond that, you'll need to embrace things like ...
- A fantastic customer experience
- Building an incredibly active community
- A smart, organized promotional, engagement, loyalty, retention, and segmentation strategy
- An understanding of your data and financials inside out
Anyway. You won't believe how much we know about this search ...
I spent a ton of time on the phone with the client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things I can share with highly qualified candidates include ...
- The "real" background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every ecommerce job has these — and this one's no different.
- What your average day/week will look like in this role. There's what you read in the standard ecommerce job posting ... then there's reality. We've got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPIs that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you'll keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this ecommerce job.
I have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. My industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT me, Harry Joiner, at (404) 281-2025 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Online Marketing Strategy: Develop and implement a comprehensive DTC online marketing strategy to drive brand awareness, customer acquisition, and revenue growth through various social media platforms.
- Platform Management: Lead and oversee all aspects of social media marketing on platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest, SnapChat, Twitter, Reddit, etc. Manage content creation, posting schedules, and community engagement across platforms.
- Audience Engagement: Build and nurture a strong online community of eco-conscious consumers by crafting engaging and relevant content that resonates with the target audience.
- Campaign Creation: Conceptualize, plan, and execute innovative marketing campaigns to promote the brand's eco-friendly home cleaners, ensuring consistency across all platforms.
- Paid Advertising: Develop and manage paid advertising campaigns, optimizing budgets and targeting strategies to maximize ROI and customer acquisition.
- Content Strategy: Collaborate with the content team to create compelling and informative content, including articles, videos, infographics, and other media, that educates consumers about the benefits of eco-friendly products.
- Influencer Partnerships: Identify and establish partnerships with relevant influencers and eco-conscious advocates to amplify brand messaging and expand reach.
- Performance Analytics: Monitor and analyze key performance metrics across platforms, providing regular reports and insights to drive data-driven decision-making and optimization.
- Conversion Optimization: Continuously test and optimize landing pages, ad creatives, and calls-to-action to improve conversion rates and enhance the customer journey.
- Budget Management: Manage the online marketing budget effectively, allocating resources to campaigns, ad spend, and content creation to achieve business goals.
- Trend Monitoring: Stay up-to-date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and changes in social media algorithms to ensure the brand remains innovative and competitive.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Work closely with cross-functional teams, including content, design, customer support, and product development, to align marketing strategies with overall business objectives.
- Brand Consistency: Maintain a consistent brand voice, style, and messaging across all online marketing efforts to strengthen brand identity and recognition.
- Risk Management: Monitor online conversations and potential reputational risks, respond to customer inquiries, and address issues in a timely and professional manner.
- Compliance and Ethics: Ensure all online marketing practices adhere to industry regulations, ethical standards, and best practices for data privacy and consumer protection.
- Team Leadership: Lead and mentor a team of online marketing professionals, fostering a collaborative and innovative work environment.
- Stakeholder Communication: Provide regular updates and reports to senior management on online marketing performance, initiatives, and results.
- Partnership Development: Explore partnerships with like-minded brands and organizations to amplify eco-friendly messaging and broaden the brand's reach.
- YOU MUST BE CURRENTLY RUNNING A $25 MILLION/UP CLIENT-SIDE DTC ECOMMERCE P&L. THIS IS AN IMMEDIATE KNOCK-OUT FACTOR.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business, or related field; MBA preferred.
- Proven track record of at least 5 years in DTC online marketing, ideally in the eco-friendly consumer goods or home cleaning industry.
- Strong expertise in utilizing social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest, Snapchat, Twitter, Reddit) for customer acquisition and engagement.
- Demonstrated success in developing and executing comprehensive online marketing strategies that drive brand awareness, customer engagement, and revenue growth.
- Proficiency in data-driven decision-making, leveraging analytics tools and metrics to optimize marketing campaigns and measure ROI.
- Experience in managing and mentoring cross-functional teams, including digital marketers, social media managers, content creators, and data analysts.
- Deep understanding of eco-friendly consumer behavior and trends, with the ability to align marketing strategies with target audience preferences.
- Proven ability to create compelling and impactful content for online platforms that resonates with environmentally conscious consumers.
- Strong knowledge of SEO, SEM, and other digital marketing tactics to drive organic and paid traffic to the company's DTC website.
- Experience with influencer partnerships and collaborations to amplify brand messaging and expand reach.
- Proficiency in using marketing automation tools, CRM systems, and analytics platforms to monitor and optimize customer journeys.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively convey the brand's mission, values, and product benefits.
- Ability to adapt to evolving digital marketing trends, algorithms, and platforms, staying ahead of industry changes.
- A strategic mindset with the capability to set clear objectives, prioritize initiatives, and drive results within budget constraints.
- Strong project management skills to oversee multiple campaigns, initiatives, and channels simultaneously.
- Passion for sustainability, environmental conservation, and eco-friendly living.
Applications for this ecommerce job are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Harry for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.
Fractional, Interim, Full Time + More